Are you a first time mom feeling overwhelmed and stressed? These feelings are quite common in the first few weeks after bringing baby home. Having a healthy baby is a blessing but it can also be a time of great change for a new mom. Along with your bundle of joy comes little or no sleep, constant feedings, diaper changes, and even uncontrollable crying.
In the beginning, you may feel like you have no clue what to do or how to help your baby.
Here are a few tips for the new mom:
- Ask for help. There is no crime in asking your spouse, partner, or family member to help with the baby. As the saying goes, “It takes a village to raise a child.” During this time, take a shower, go for a walk, or try to take a nap.
- Eat healthy meals. Eating, can be difficult I know, and eating healthy can be another burden but it will provide you with the energy and stamina you need for those long days and nights. Suggestion: buy precut fruit and bagged salads that can be prepared quickly.
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t seem right with your baby, call the pediatrician. You know your baby better than anyone. If you are feeling depressed or stressed for a prolonged period of time, talk with your doctor. There is no shame in seeking help during this time.
- Sleep. Sleep as much as you can, when you can. Lack of sleep can cause you to feel dizzy, sluggish, and irritable.
- Talk to other moms. Discussing some of the challenges of motherhood with others who have been in or are in your shoes, can help relieve anxiety and prevent possible depression from setting in.